Warmer weather is FINALLY in the air, can you feel it?!
With that warm sunshine comes cookouts, BBQs, and gathering to eat and drink outside with friends and family.
This recipe is perfect to have on hand for those days, or any weeknight where you're craving something hearty that will leave you feeling satisfied but not heavy.
Even your non-vegetarian friends will love these deliciously spiced black bean burgers!
I love how versatile they are.
You can serve them classic on a bun with ketchup and mustard, you could go wild and jazz up those burgers with guacamole and all the fixings, or you could opt for a lighter choice and create a spinach salad with black bean patties.
They can easily be made vegan, and there are options for cooking them in the oven, grill, or the air fryer- my new favorite kitchen appliance!
Serving size: 6-8 burgers
Prep time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
2 (14 ounce) cans black beans, drained, rinsed, and patted dry
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup finely chopped bell pepper (1/2 of a pepper)
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion (1/2 of a large onion)
3 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tbs)
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup feta cheese (optional)
2 large eggs (use flax eggs for vegan)
1 tbs Worcestershire sauce (there are vegan gf brands out there)
2 tbs BBQ sauce
pinch salt + pepper
1. Preheat oven or air fryer to 325°F. Spread beans evenly onto a lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes (7-9 mins in the air fryer) or until slightly dried out.
2. Meanwhile, sauté olive oil, chopped pepper, onion, and garlic over medium heat until peppers and onions are soft, about 5-6 minutes. Gently blot some of the moisture out.
3. Place in a large bowl or in a food processor with the remaining ingredients (cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, bread crumbs, cheese, eggs, Worcestershire,
ketchup, salt, and pepper). Stir or pulse everything together, then add the black beans. Pulse the mixture, leaving some larger chunks of beans.
4. Form into patties– about 1/3 cup of mixture in each. To bake, place patties on parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake at 375°F for 10 minutes on each side, 20 minutes total. If you're air frying instead: Heat to 350°F. Lightly spray basket and place patties inside. Cook for ~6 minutes on each side until crisp on the outside and they hold their shape.
5. Serve with your favorite toppings on a bun or a salad with sweet potato fries. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
I hope you love this recipe and come back to it again and again!
If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and hashtag it #katalystliving.
I love seeing your creations!