You know those nights when you're mentally spent and know you want to eat something delicious, healthy, and flavorful but just don't have it in you to turn the oven or stove on?
I think it's pretty safe to say we've all been there...
Depending what you have going on in life, these moments can happen more frequently than you'd like to admit... right?
Don't guilt yourself over it! There's no shame allowed here.
We all live busy lives so it's important and realistic to have a handful of quick, easy, and semi-homemade weeknight dinner recipes on handy for when the time calls.
This one is flavor packed with Italian spices like basil, olive oil, garlic, and walnuts which balances out the natural sweetness of the spaghetti squash. You won't even miss the pasta noodles! For the sausages, we like the Italian Tofurkey brand but you can sub this out with any other sausage you like or replace that with chick peas!
Prep time: 3 minutes | Cook time: 12 minutes | Total time: 15 minutes
1 spaghetti squash, outside washed
2 Tofurkey Italian Sausages (or sub in your favorite beans with Italian seasonings)
Earthy Vegan Pesto
3 cups fresh basil
1.5 tsp minced garlic or 3 cloves, chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
juice from half of a lemon
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1. Poke ~12 holes evenly around your spaghetti squash so that it doesn't explode in the microwave.
2. Microwave your spaghetti squash for 12 minutes or until soft and steamy.
3. While that's cooking, add the basil, garlic, olive oil, walnuts, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, and pepper into a food processor blend until smooth.
4. Carefully remove spaghetti squash from the microwave with a towel (it will be very hot!), and put it on a plate.
5. Microwave your 2 vegan sausages for 2 minutes.
6. While that cooks, protect your hands with the towel and slice down the length of your squash with a sharp knife, creating 2 halves.
7. Remove and discard the seeds with a fork, and then shred the squash from the shell inward, creating noodles.
8. Remove sausages from the microwave and slice into 1 inch pieces. Toss the squash noodles and sausage pieces with 2-3 tbs of your pesto sauce inside the shell or serve it on a plate.
9. Garnish with more nutritional yeast and fresh basil, and enjoy!.
If you make this recipe, please snap a photo and hashtag it #katalystliving.
I love seeing your creations!
PS These photos are from tasteslovely.com, but this is my recipe :)